What are our schools doing to keep children safe?
In light of the tragic event that took place in Marysville on October 24, I want to take a moment to apprise you of the actions we are taking to ensure the safest schools possible. Working together we can be sure our students and staff members can work and learn in a safe and productive learning environment.
Safe Schools Alert reporting
The district website has an anonymous link available on the homepage for anyone to report their concerns via text, email, web, or phone. You can access this link by:
Coordination with Emergency Officials
The district is in ongoing communication with law enforcement, fire, emergency management, and health officials, a coordinated approach, using many skilled staff and agency resources.
Practice Drills and Simulations
Our students practice drill to make sure they understand how to respond in different situations. Teachers and principals prepare by reviewing responses to a variety of scenarios.
Using the Capital Projects Levy dollars you approved, we are making systematic improvements to each of our school sites to improve security.
Counseling and Related Reports
Our skilled, professional staff is here to talk with students about their needs and challenges and to make outside referrals as appropriate. Please feel free to contact any of our staff who may be able to provide some guidance, including referrals.
The school board regularly reviews school district policies, including the Bullying, Intimidation, and Harassment policy (Policy and procedure 3207). Policy work related to student’s education is a high priority.
What can you do to help?
1) Be visible in the lives of young people and give them the encouragement they need to be successful. Sometimes a listening ear goes a long way.
2) Report any concerning behavior through the safe schools anonymous link or to any staff member. The staff cannot act or help with challenges they don’t know about.
3) Err on the side of caution. If you observe or hear something that concerns you, report it so we can be sure that everyone in the school community is safe. Make the district aware of communications that are a concern.
4) Secure any weapons in the house and safely account for them at all times.
5) Let the school district know of other ideas you have to ensure safety and security.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
San Juan Island School District