Transition to Kindergarten
San Juan Island School District is excited to begin offering a Transition to Kindergarten (TK) program to 4-year-old students for the 2024-2025 school year. TK is a no-cost, full-day early learning program for 4-year-olds who do not have access to early learning experiences. The goal of the TK program is to provide a high-quality early learning experience that prepares students for a successful, seamless transition to kindergarten. Children may enter TK based on a pre-screening process to determine their need for additional early learning to prepare them for kindergarten the following year.
Like all kindergarten classes, this program will be full day. TK follows the school year calendar from when the program begins on August 29, 2024, through to June 13, 2025.
To be eligible to apply, a student must meet the following criteria:
- For the 2024-2025 school year, the child turns five between September 1, 2024 and August 31, 2025.
- The child has not had access to early learning experiences, such as a licensed preschool program, due to availability or other factors.
- The child resides within the boundaries of San Juan Island School District.
- The family completes an application and screening process.
- During the screening process, the child demonstrates developmental needs, social needs, or other needs that could be supported in TK.
More information will be coming in January 2024.