Professional Mental Health Services through the San Juan Island School District
- Professional mental health services and supports, including mental health assessments and counseling, are available to all students within the geographic region served by the San Juan Island School District (SJISD). Services are offered to public, private and/or home-schooled students and are contingent on available grant funding through San Juan County Health & Community Services.
- Professional mental health services provided by community mental health therapists are available to students who meet income guidelines, are uninsured, or are underinsured.
- Compass Health also has an agreement with the SJISD to provide professional mental health assessment and counseling services in the District schools. These services are offered on a space-available basis, and they are not income or insurance dependent. Please check with the SJISD mental health coordinator (Amara Zee) for availability.
Referral Process for Mental Health Services
Mental Health Emergencies: If you (or someone you know) are having a mental health emergency and need to be seen right away, please contact the 24-Hour Mental Health Care Crisis Line at 800-584-3578.
To determine if you are eligible for school assistance in paying for mental health services by a community mental health therapist, ask:
- Are you insured through Medicaid (Apple Health)? If so, please contact Compass Health in Friday Harbor for mental health services (360-378-2669).
- Do you qualify for Medicaid but have not applied? The San Juan Island Family Resource Center can provide assistance in your application for Medicaid. The resource center phone number is 360-378-5246.
- Do you have health insurance? If so, please contact your insurance company for a list of professional mental health therapists in your community who accept your health insurance.
- Are you uninsured? If so, a limited number of counseling sessions with a professional mental health counselor in the community may be available to you while you enroll in an insurance plan. Please contact the SJISD mental health coordinator for a referral.
- Are you underinsured? If so, a limited number of sessions with a professional mental health counselor in the community may be available to you. Please contact the SJISD mental health coordinator for a referral. To be considered “underinsured”, you must answer the following questions:
- Are there any local, available, suitable mental health professionals who accept your insurance? If “no”, then you are underinsured.
- Does your deductible represent a realistic financial hardship? If “yes”, then you are underinsured.
Please Contact: Amara Zee firstname.lastname@example.org