San Juan Island School District is grateful for the support of our smart, dedicated, hardworking substitutes. The district cannot achieve its mission without you!
If you are interested in joining any of our substitute pools, please contact Human Resources at (360) 370-7904 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply apply online through the SJISD TalentEd portal.
Below are helpful resources for all current and future substitutes:
How to become a Substitute Teacher
Note: A college degree is not required to become a substitute teacher!
- Submit an application through SJISD TalentEd
- Informal Interview
- Complete Onboarding steps with HR:
- Fingerprint background check (Fees total $60.25)
- Obtain an Emergency Substitute Teacher certificate through OSPI (takes 1-2 weeks).
- Complete one 'Shadow Day'.
- Complete HR New Hire Orientation
- Complete all payroll related forms.
Info for All Subs
- Back to School Facts Flyer
- Re-opening (under COVID-19) Handbook
- Re-opening (under COVID-19) FAQs
- All Staff Employee Handbook
Current Lists of All Substitutes
- In addition to Red Rover, current substitues are located at this link on SJISD Google drive.
- Substitute Teachers
- Substitute Classified Staff: Referencing the Classified Staff Salary Schedule, subs are paid the beginning rate ('0 Years') for the position worked.
Link to Red Rover our absence management system.